Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Few Thoughts

So I don't do this, but I had a really great experience last night that I feel like sharing. The past few months have been really hard for me, they've slowly started to get easier, but it has definitely been a trial. Through all of this I've tried to dive into my scriptures and to pray with more meaning. I wanted so badly to be able to feel the spirit telling me that this gospel is true, that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet of God. Most of all I wanted to feel of my Heavenly Father's love. It's been a struggle, I know that this church is true and that Heavenly Father loves me, but I wasn't receiving that affirmation that I desired. So I decided to really evaluate my life, and I realized that there were definitely some things that I needed to work on, my attitude, my actions, things like that. I then came up with a plan, I had finished the Book of Mormon a few weeks earlier and I wanted to start it again. I decided to read it this time while studying the religion 121/122 manual. I wanted to learn more, to really dive into the scriptures and to understand what the words mean and the purpose of the messages. I've been doing this for the last couple of weeks, and last night I came across something amazing, for me. I wanted to share it with you, because it touched me so deeply.
In 1 Nephi 8 it talks about Lehi's vision of the tree of life. In the manual it helps us to break apart the meaning of each symbol, and through cross referencing, helps us understand how this vision is important to us right now. We learn that the rod of iron is the word of God, and as we hold firm to the word of God and follow the things that he has commanded us, then we will be able to make it through the mists of darkness (temptations of the devil) that may over come us. We also learn that as we hold to that rod we follow a straight and narrow path that will bring us to the tree of life. If we read in Matthew 7:14 we learn that there won't be many that stay on this path, it is a hard path to follow, and many will be lead astray through the mists of darkness to the great and spacious building. But if we remain strong and true we will come to the tree of life, the Love of God, and we will be able to partake of the fruit: "a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy. And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen." 1 Nephi 8:10-11 The Love of God is the most desirable thing for us, I know that I have partaken of His love, and I desire to continue to partake of His love and to continue to hold strong and true to the iron rod as I pass through my mists of darkness.
The other thing I learned that was so profound to me was found in 1 Nephi 10. We learn in this chapter and in cross reference to D&C 10:38-45, that the record that Nephi kept was so important to us today that Heavenly Father commanded Nephi to make two record because he knew one would be lost and his people still needed the records that Nephi wrote. He knew how important Nephi's writings would be in bringing the fullness of the gospel to this earth and so he ensured a way that they would come. Heavenly Father knows ALL things and he will prepare a way for his work to come forth.
Thinking about the long shpeal I've written I've realized that this may not be so profound, but to me it made the biggest difference. As I was studying last night at work, the spirit witnessed to me of the truthfulness of this gospel, that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God and that my Heavenly Father loves me. I needed this witness so badly, and I am so grateful to have it. I just wanted you all to know that my testimony is strong, I love this church, I love this gospel, I love my husband and my family. Even though things may be hard, they can still be wonderful. Heavenly Father gives us each only what we can handle, and if we have faith in him, He will prepare a way. The Book of Mormon manual states, "While the Lord 'shall prepare a way' for the obedient servant to keep his Commandment. the way may not be easy." I testify of that, I have seen this in my life. But I want to add to that and say, that as we come unto Christ, our burdens will be made light.
I love you all and encourage you to dive into the scriptures, pray fervently and feel the love of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Spencer W. Kimball stated, "You have to fight for a testimony. You have to keep fighting!" I'm going to keep fighting, and I challenge each you to keep fighting as well.

16 comments:

Katy said...

You are so inspiring!

Monica said...

thank you, I needed that! Its funny how you stumble across things you need to hear. Fay, you are a great friend and a wonderful person! I love you!

Melody said...

What a neat experience, Fay. Thanks for sharing that! It's so easy to get lost in the everyday stuff, and I really appreciate your example in seeking out the things that really matter amidst everything else.

Leslie said...

Wow Fay, great post! I have been thinking of (and missing) you. You are awesome and I know that the Lord has you at the top of His "list" right now and is watching over you all the time. Love you!

marcie said...

I think that you hit on something really important for everyone in this church to realize, that I have to constantly remind myself of. That is when you said at the end that after writing all of it, it may not be so profound but it is to you. That is SOOO powerful BECAUSE the scriptures speak directly to us when we are willing to put forth the amazing amount of effort like you did, and we will have SPECIFIC and PROUFOUND experiences that impact our lives in amazing ways for the better. And what's more, it doesn't matter if anyone else gets it or not, because the Holy Ghost was speaking directly to you in a time of trial when you needed some direct spiritual guidance.

With that in mind, though, I also did find your post really inspiring :)

Tara said...

So inspiring Fay! I hope everything is going well with you!

Amber said...

Glad you found that witness you so badly needed, and that things are starting to get a little better.

And how to you study scriptures at work?!? Way to go!!

emaalyon said...

Such a good idea to use the BoM manual to study alongside the scriptures. I wonder if I could get a hold of one! I'm glad you're feeling better about things!

Steph said...

Thanks Fay for yoyour testimony. I really need to start to read my scriptures again. You are a good friend!! Thanks

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences--I am inspired to do better in my own life. Much love!!

Hilarie* said...

Hey what a neat experience. Sorry about the other day.. I have been just weary lately wondering who my turn and make things up. Ya know? I wasn't trying to come off weird. I was just tired and weary from the current rumor stress. So needless to say I wasn't very eager to be there. I appreciate you keeping things confident. Really!

Henderson Family said...

Thank you for your testimony. It is so wonderful that we can uplift each other in this way.

Benica and Fam said...

I love you Fay!! I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I hope you know that you can call me anytime. thank you for being the wonderful person you are!! I can't wait to see you again.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

I love you You have such an amazing testimony. Thanks for posting it on your blog! :-D

amanda said...

what a good pep talk for me to read more.

Lauritzen Lovin' said...

Fay!
I'm so grateful that you wrote exactly how you felt and the impressions you recieved. I know we all feel like this, and that quote by President Kimball is one of my favorite! WE have to keep fighting for our testimonies always. Thanks for your example! I know we didn't talk too much when we were in the ward but I always looked up to you and others!