Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Dreaded Potty


Lately Chase has been doing a really good job at telling me he needed to go potty on the toilet. Yesterday he told me twice and both times his diaper was completely dry and he went potty on the toilet. He even was dry after his nap and went potty! So we went out and bought sponge bob undies and decided to take the plunge today. The underwear went on at 11:12, by 11:15 he had already had an accident, "Mommy, wet." Within 10 more minutes we had at least 5 false alarms, "Go potty on the toilet!" and one more small accident. By 11:41 we had at least 10 more false alarms and a falling apart. It came down to a choice between the diaper and undies and Chase chose the diaper! I don't know what to do! I though he was ready, but maybe not. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any super fabulous books? Any magic words or a magic wand I can borrow? I think we're done for today, but I don't want to take a step back in our progress.

8 comments:

tiff snedaker said...

We did the potty tots program - pottytots.com. Chandler would get really excited about it. He is also still in pull ups. At first he thought they were just a diaper and would pee and poop in them. Now he gets the concept that the needs to go potty even though he is wearing a pull up. He hardly ever has accidents, but I am keeping him in pull ups until we've gone a week accident free. It's about time too, he'll be 4 in like 3 months! Good luck.

Henderson Family said...

You should read my posts about potty training Katie Marie back in January!!! It can be pretty frustrating. I started on a weekend so that I could have Randy for support;) The first few days we didn't even put on panties, we just put on a really long T-shirt. This has been a method my mom has used to potty train all of my younger brothers and I used it for Katie Marie. Let them run bare for a couple days with a long shirt. You will have MANY accidents for the first few days, so prepare yourself for that, but it still is progress, because they are getting used to that feeling of being wet. Try and make it a positive experience by using little rewards (like a potty chart with stickers for successes). You could also use candy (a skittle or m&m) if he goes in the toilet. The pull-up thing didn't work for us. She would do great, but as soon as I put a pull-up on her she'd have an accident (too much security, I think). Anyway, to truly understand the story and frustrations and all, read my January posts. I can completely empathize with the potty training woes.

Melody said...

I stick with Monica's number one rule of potty-training: DON'T potty train.
Works great for me! :)

Randi and Adam said...

Hey it's Randi!! We just did this with Mady about 3 weeks ago. She NEVER did pull-ups except at night or nap time. Our first day was fine, 2nd and 3rd were a disaster!! She would just watch herself pee down her legs. AHHH! On the 1st day we set a timer for every 30 min and kind or worked from there. When it would go off we'd say "potty time!" and try to make it fun. There was a lot of crying days though too. We did a treat box and potty presents from the $1 store when she filled up a sticker chart (I even wrapped them and put them up high in the bathroom where she could see them. I don't know, it's tough to figure out what works. But I swear they're testing you. Once Mady realized that she wasn't going back to diapers, that this was it, she's done pretty well. We even had days where she cried and asked for diapers. But after about 4 days, she did awesome. It took a good 4-5 days though. But I still had to ask her to go potty about every 2 hours, cuz she wouldn't tell me. We've still had a few accidents, but i swear pull-ups were a disaster because they feel like diapers. I have a book called, "The no-cry potty solution" if you want to borrow it. Anyhow... I think the key is to keep at it and let him know you won't give in. And DON'T GET FRUSTRATED! Easier said then done, for sure! Well good luck!!

The Bunker Family said...

Keep at it! Constantly tell him positive statements: that you know he can use the potty because he knows when he needs to go, he tells you when he needs to go and he can keep his underwear dry, etc. The first 2 days with Sydney were the hardest! But I kept at it and she got it by the third day. I used the book "How to Potty Train in 3 Days" by Lois Kleint - I found it on www.amazon.com. It really helped and made me feel in control because we had a plan! Honestly, I felt like it was mommy training just as much as potty training. I had to get in the mindset and be one step ahead. Plus, treat rewards totally work! One for #1, two for #2. You and he can do it!

marcie said...

I completely agree with "Henderson Family." It's not anywhere close to time to potty train Ben yet, but I remember about 6 months ago Amy Forbis potty trained Paige with a similar method to Henderson Family, and I was SUPER impressed, as in, I've mentally logged it that I'm going to be asking Amy for advice when it's time to potty train Ben. From everything I've seen thus far, that system seemed to work great! And good luck... that is a tricky road to travel!

Amber said...

Oh boy....I just love that everyone at work has little boys just a few months older than Logan, so I can mentally prepare myself for what's ahead.

Good luck!!

Douglas, Anita, Gracie, & Marley said...

Every child is so different, but we resulted to bribes with Gracie. 1 tootsie roll for #1 and she chose a new movie to buy that she could watch only after she went #2 She still refers to it as her pooping movie:) It took longer than I expected, but it finally worked! Plus she was 3 1/2, so don't feel bad if it takes longer than other kids. It will happen when he's ready.