Monday, July 5, 2010

For the Love of Running: Run #1

I decided to start blogging about my adventures in running, mostly because then I feel like I HAVE to go running.  Usually I find myself saying,  "I need to go running.  I'll go running at 8."  Then at 8 I say, "I'll go running at 9."  Then at 9 I say, "I'll go running when I finish what I'm doing."  Then when I finish I say, "Oh well, guess I'll go running tomorrow!"  This being said, I needed to find some motivation for running and so I decided to keep you all involved with my adventures by blogging about it.
Why running, you may ask.  Well let me tell you why.  There are three children in my family, my older sister Melissa who has run countless races and is amazing at every one she does.  My older brother Tom  runs for, FUN.  He has been known to go running in blizzards and get lost, only to find his way home by running 26 miles.  My mother also speed walks (which sadly enough is about my running pace).  She does half marathons multiple times through out the year, but most of you who know her already know that she's a TAD bit crazy!  I on the other hand HATE running, I got it from my Dad (thanks Dad).  Sometimes I think that I like running, and then I start a workout and get about 3 minutes into it and remember, VIVIDLY, why I hate it so much.
Well then WHY am I trying so hard to do a running regime?  Well for multiple reasons....let me tell you.  I REALLY need to reduce the size of my thighs, hips, stomach and arms.  I've gained 20 pounds since I finished nursing Chase, and I really want to lose it.  My depression hasn't been as "in-check" as I want it to be.  I want to be able to develop a hobby that is healthy, that I can do my whole life.  When I was swimming in high school I was able to hit that "wall" and continue to swim as long as I wanted and it felt GOOD, I want to find that with running.  I need to train myself to not be lazy.  I have been SO lazy lately, I need to learn to control my natural, carnal nature and take control of my body!  This is just the tip of the iceberg as to why I am doing this, but now you know why.
HOW am I going to do this?  Well I bought and app for my iphone the other day called C25K, couch to 5k, it's to help beginner runners be able to run a 5k non-stop in 9 weeks.  I plan on running 3-5 times a week, and after I master a 5k I will start on 10k distance, and after that a half marathon.  I REALLY want to run a half marathon before we get pregnant again.  That way I feel like my body will be in shape and at the weight that I want it to be at before I destroy it again with pregnancy.
So leave me an encouraging note along the way.  Give me tips to help me run easier and hate it less, and maybe learn to love it!  I'd love some help and I know I have friends out there who have already learned to love running!!

Run #1
July 5, 2010
2.37 miles
31 min (maybe a little more, I stopped twice)

Today went well, as well as could be expected for my first time running again in a year.  I thought I'd start in the middle of the C25K program, at week 5, since I'm not a beginning runner.  Though as I got half way through my work out I realized that maybe I am a beginning runner!  The first half I wanted to die, the middle I actually felt good and at the end I pretty much died (31 min mind you, that works out to be about 30 min of wanting to die and 1 min of feeling good).  Now you have to realize that at a pace of 13 min/mile I'm pretty much walking when I'm running.  If would have seen me today you would have wondered, "is she really running?"  But I want to defend myself...by the time I got myself out the door today it was noon, it was 75 degrees and the wind was blowing.  Now from my perspective while I was running it felt like about 100 degrees and hurricane strength wind!  So that's my excuse for the 13 min mile and the two stops.  I was proud of myself while running that I didn't feel like vomiting or passing out, both of which are common occurrences for me when beginning a new work out.  But don't you worry, by the time I got home I was hugging the toilet and laid sprawled out on the bathroom floor.  It doesn't quite phase Jared any more, he's used to it.  So run #1 done and I'd call it a semi-success.  Let's hope I don't give up now!  Here's to run #2!!!!!!

12 comments:

Monica said...

GO FAY! From everything I know about working out...it will always SUCK but it gets easier,esp when you see results. You will do great, I wish I was still going to be here to run the 5k with you :(

Caskey Crew said...

Yes, Go Fay! I am quite the lazy runner. I was pretty good before Kaelyn, but now there's always an excuse. That's why I've adopted the HIIT (high intensity interval training) method! It's only a 10-15 minute workout. It involves sprinting though. I'd rather sprint and get it over with faster though! I stuck with the program for about a week! haha... it's time to get back on track. Cute posts! I'loved your shirts too!

tiff snedaker said...

Nice job! Even though you may hate it now, you might find that it gets addicting. Even on long runs sometimes I wonder why I am doing it, and then I get done and feel SO good. I would recommend getting a Nike + if you have an ipod. They are really awesome at keeping your distance, plus you can set goals and get in ear feedback while you are running. They are only about $30 and well worth the investment.
WTG though on setting a goal. You will be great!

Melissa Bunn said...

Way to go Fay! I went running today too. I bet Mom could have walked faster than me though. I'm pretty slow. I don't know if I'll get back to the pace I was before Mitchell. I'm excited to hear about your run tomorrow.

The Bunker Family said...

Way to go Fay! We're at about the same place with running and I've been thinking about training for a 5k and so on as well. I'll look forward to hearing about your running successes. You can do it!

Terri Lindsay said...

Way to go runner!! So I had a friend do the C25K program and she really liked it. I love the Nike+ system!!!!! I tell everyone about it. But I am also a nut when it comes to charts and seeing the progress, and grafts. I did the Nike 5K training program. Way fun. You should look into it. At least look at the web page and see what it can do, so much fun. Oh and a 13 min mile is good for me, so I think your run today was awesome. And I would so run with you if I wasn't prego, oh well. Good luck.

Julie Metge said...

Sweet heart, keep going. The first mile is always the hardest, and for me, the slowest. Keep a log so you can see your progress.

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

I HATE running so I'm of no help to you. But good luck..... bwahaha.

The shirts turned out super cute though! And call me and I'll help you weed your yard. I love yardwork but don't have a yard.

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you started to blog again! I've been checking back from time to time hoping to catch something.

And KUDOS for running. I'm lucky if Carrie and I make it the 2 houses down the street to the mailbox and back everyday (walking, I might add). I tell myself "Maybe I'd run if we still lived in Idaho and it was 75 outside instead of 115"... Nah, probably not even then... :)

Julie Metge said...

What was your time and distance today?

Anonymous said...

I love running too and I will start running again this month...anyway I love you post keep on running!!!

zbsports

Liana said...

Oh Fay, the way you describe things, it's like you are describing me! :) I miss being around you because I relate so well. I haven't read the other few runs yet, but I'm excited to have seen some new posts on your blog, I do still try to keep an eye out once in a while to see if you've written. Call me sometime! Remember, I am just around the corner. :)